Sunday 31 March 2013

Easter Cakes

Happy Easter everyone, I hope your all indulging in chocolate :)

Yesterday I made some yummy Easter cakes and thought I would share the recipe on here. They are super simple to make so if you wanted something easy to bake this afternoon this might be just the thing for you.






Ingredients 

4oz of caster sugar
4oz of butter (I use stork)
6oz of self raising flour
2 free range eggs
vanilla essence

For the decoration

4oz of butter
6oz of icing sugar
2oz of cocoa powder (not sweetened cocoa)
Mini eggs or other chocolates

To make the cakes.....
  • Set the oven to 180 degrees celcius
  • Whisk the sugar and butter together until the mixture is a pale colour and creamy consistency.
  • Add in the eggs and whisk
  • Add in a couple of drops of vanilla essence
  • Add in the flour and whisk
  • Bake for 10-25 minutes or until golden brown. Just keep checking on them to see when they are done.
For the buttercream

  • Using a spoon cream together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and butter until a dark colour and a consistency that is loose enough to pipe. It may take about 20 minutes but think of the exercise :)
  • Pipe the buttercream onto the cakes when cool and decorate with mini eggs or other chocolates! I also used creme egg splats on some cakes!
I hope you are all having a lovely day! Please let me know if you enjoy baking posts.

Megan xx


26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They really were! Hope you had a nice Easter :) xo

      Delete
  2. These look so yummy!

    www.littlepieceofbeauty.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were! Hope you had a lovely Easter! xo

      Delete
  3. these look awesome! I hope they were enjoyed. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely were but someone left the lid off them so half had to be chucked out :( xo

      Delete
  4. Yummy! I love baking posts personally, but thats just because I'm such a huge fan of food/cakes! These look lovely and I've tried for years and can still never ever get my icing this perfect!

    Chels|HumbleHonesty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I've used a piping bag and it uses much more muscle than I even imagined! Maybe I'm just weak :)
      I really enjoy reading other baking posts as I use blog recipes much more than recipe books :) xo

      Delete
  5. I saw this blog and just had to read it. Loving all the Easter cakes around at the moment, check out my blog for a Creme Egg Brownie one :)

    Happy Easter!

    P.xx
    greywalls94.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your creme egg brownie post. It was the first 'Easter baking' post I read this year and was going to try them but I couldn't find mini creme eggs anywhere :) xo

      Delete
  6. These look delicious - I love easter cakes! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious! Hope you had a great Easter :) xo

      Delete
  7. im so jealous, these look mouthwatering !

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so tasty :) wish I wasn't too lazy to bake xx

    Laurenroseloves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy to make, seriously the prep is done in about 5 minutes!
      Hope you had a lovely Easter :) xo

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Haha! You should make some, they are really easy to make :) xo

      Delete
  10. These look delicious!
    Even though Easters over I may have to make them :P
    If you don't mind, please check out my blog too. x

    http://prettypurchases.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be made whenever, just add something else on top instead of mini eggs, maybe chocolate buttons or edible glitter :)xx

      Delete
  11. These look so good. I want to make them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make them, they were so tasty :) xo

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us. I made them yesterday and they taste soo good (with wholemeal flour, just to make them healthier). My mum really likes them too, so you got me off the hook for not giving her an Easter egg! :P

    I also just realised why my cakes didn't look as good as yours! Because your mini eggs are sticking up..haha! I'm a bit of a perfectionist. But yours do look like little birds nests - so cute! :)

    I hope you had a great Easter weekend and holiday!
    Thanks again for sharing your recipe!

    ~Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh don't be silly yours look amazing. Glad your mum liked them. Maybe I should have been a bit healthier and used wholemeal flour! xo

      Delete