Tuesday 3 December 2013

DIY Tree Decorations

I love decorating the tree for Christmas, its one of the best parts of Christmas. What am I saying? All parts of Christmas are the best! Anyway I love making decoration and my favourite to make is so simple and overall cheaper than buying decorations. It also makes your tree more personal and they would even make a great gift.

To make this you'll need;
Small polystyrene ball
Sequins of different colours
Short metal or plastic pins
A thin piece of ribbon 


I got all of my things from Hobbycraft, everything definitely came to under £10.

They are so easy to make, the pictures are self explanatory but i'll tell you anyway!

Basically you can do this in 2 ways. Either decide which part of the ball you want to be the top and use a pin to pin a loop of ribbon onto the ball. You can do this part last if it is easier. I always leave a gap and do it last so I don't have a bit of ribbon flopping around while I'm doing the rest. You can also make a cross over the ball with ribbon to separate different sections which is what I have done.

(Please excuse my thumb!)


Decide on a pattern and start to put the pins through the middle of the sequins and push them into the ball. I told you it was simple!

You can also use polystyrene stars or any shapes you wish and be as creative as you like. I have been making these decorations for a couple of years and think the look lovely on the tree. I will include some pictures of some of the ones I have previously made in a later post (when I find them in the decoration box).

I'd love to know what you think of this and if you've made any Christmas decorations this year!

Megan xx

6 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea - not only cheaper but would be so much fun to do. I miss doing crafty stuff like this! I'm at uni so i haven't been able to help with all the christmas decorations at home this year, it'll all be finished by the time i get there!

    Saida xx
    http://saidacanephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really fun to do and I think they are a great thing to do with the whole family if you can find plastic pins (for children). You could always make some and put them on the tree when you get home! xx

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea. Not only is it a lot cheaper, it is also very unlikely to breaking upon dropping it, unlike plastic decorations.

    littlebitpixie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy making them too! That's so true, a couple of our glass baubles smashed this year but these were safe even with a puppy charging around everywhere! xx

      Delete